The Sahara Sands Spring Classic will be held April 30 – May 2nd 2021 at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds!
Some things to consider if you are thinking about not attending Sahara Sands because of civil unrest.
· If you look at a map, the Minnesota State Fairgrounds is like an island that is fairly isolated from retail and major businesses.
· According to mapquest the fairgrounds is 11.7 miles from Cup Foods at 38th and Chicago. It is 14.1 miles from the Brooklyn Center Police Department.
· The Fairgrounds is 322 acres with a perimeter fence.
· The entrances are gated and can be closed as needed.
· Except for the East main entrance on Snelling avenue all other gates are closed at approximately 9 PM each night.
· Sahara Sands has a State Fair Police officer dedicated to the show, during show hours.
· There is a huge FEMA Covid-19 site south of Como Ave operated by National Guard and Air Force personnel. It is being operated 7 days a week from 8 AM to 6 PM and would not be open if they determined that the area was not safe to do so.
· Derick Chauvin was found guilty on all counts on April 20th. The next trial of the other officers is not stated to start till August.
· A reminder that the Sahara Sands Classic is the only show to get your horse in the Coliseum prior to the Region 10 Show.
· Sahara Sands has extended pre-entry fees to the closure of the Show office on Thursday April 28th.
· The Minnesota State Fair provided the following Statement:
The safety and security of our guests, vendors, exhibitors, contractors, clients, and staff always has been and continues to be our number one priority. We have an operations team in place year-round that partners with local, state, and federal agencies. Through our mutual aid agreements, information is shared with us on a continual basis, and we can access additional resources to prevent or respond to potential safety and security issues at the fairgrounds. We acknowledge that the Twin Cities is facing ongoing challenges related to civil unrest, safety, and security. Our staff is monitoring ever-evolving developments and is prepared to follow all local and state guidance. As is our standard practice, we continue to assess and adjust our entire operation as needed to provide a safe experience for all.
Unfortunately, we cannot have spectators at our event this year per US Equestrian COVID-19 rules. Only those who are associated with a horse entered in our show can be on the grounds.
Stay Tuned for 2021 Sponsors
The Sahara Sands membership has one goal – to put on the best Arabian and Half-Arabian show in the region (and have fun while we do it). We do a pretty good job, if we do say so ourselves!